0
Sponsored Link

Harnaam Kaur, a bearded woman from Berkshire, England, UK, embraced her facial hair and is proud of having a fully-grown beard which she started growing at 11.

The 24-year-old has polycystic ovary syndrome, which causes excessive hair growth all over her body, including her chest and arms. She first started growing a thick facial hair at the age of just 11. The girl tried to wax, bleach and shave it but nothing helped, her peers continues mocking and bullying her. She started self-harming and almost attempted suicide. 

But now she is a different person, at the age of 16 she was baptised as a Sikh, a religion which forbids the cutting of body hair, she embraced her body hair and let nature take its course. Today she is promoting her new film which aims to "prevent bullying and to show people the effects of bullying on young people". 

Harnaam, who is trying to support the victims of bullying said, "At the end of the day, I love myself and the way that I'm formed. It's taken a lot of strength to walk out in public as a bearded woman and to daily push back nastiness, but I love myself for who I am. Once you do that and accept who you are then the harshness doesn't matter because you're content. Obviously going through school I went through an immense amount of bullying.

"It takes a lot of strength to decide to kill yourself, until one day I thought the energy I put towards suicide I wanted to turn into a positive energy. The beard obviously wants to be there so I might as well just keep it! As a woman, I stand for what I am. I don't think women need to look a certain way to be labelled as a woman. Don't hide it. Learn to accept your body for the way it's formed. The strength has to come from the inside."
Brother Gurdeep Singh is Ms Kaur's biggest supporter.
Harnaam Kaur without her facial hair.



Follow OMOPedia on Twitter!

Like OMOPEDIA on Facebook!


Post a Comment Blogger

 
Top